15 Tips to make the most of Pollak Library, that is.
Library student assistant and Communications major Kamille Torres shares tips written from a fellow student’s perspective.
Freshman year can be scary, new friends, new classes, and a new routine. A new school year can always be overwhelming especially with the amount of homework. Practice your new study habits at Pollak Library and use these tips to create a successful first year (and second and third and fourth).
- Starbucks, Starbucks, and more Starbucks. Grab a drink before you catch a LONG study session, you’re gonna need it.
- Ask a librarian. Librarians are at the reference desk (First Floor North) to help− ASK THEM. Ask them for help on that eight page research paper that you have due in two days. There’s also 24/7 chat reference help through the library’s website.
- Looking for a book. The circulation desk is located on the first floor and will be able to help you find a book, and is also the library’s lost and found.
- Interlibrary Loan. If you need a book that’s not in the library, you can borrow it from another library (excluding textbooks).
- University Archives/Special Collections. Check out this department to see historic documents or books–but make sure you don’t take any!
- Print your assignment before class for only 10 cents a page (for b&w printing). Printers are located on the north side of floors one to four.
- Titan Card. Load up your TitanCard through your portal, at the TitanCard station (first floor north), or through the Valueport machine (First Floor North).
- Don’t lug around your laptop–public computers are located on the north side of the first and fourth floors.
- E-books. Carrying around books gets tiring fast, check out the library’s collection of over 200,000 e-books.
- Head to Third Floor North, AKA the quiet floor to get some uninterrupted study time to ace your first midterm.
- Study Rooms. Studying with friends or classmates? Check out the study rooms on the third and fourth floors, first come first served. Smart Study Rooms on the first and third floors can be checked out from the Student Genius Corner.
- Charged up. Charging stations are located on each floor so you can get that Snapchat selfie in before class.
- Lost? Student assistants are located in the atrium (right by Starbucks, perfect!) and will be able to point you in the right direction.
- The library website has a complete list of hours, so make sure you check it before showing up to study.
- Never leave your belongings unattended!
This blog post was written by Kamille Torres, Communications Specialist Student Assistant on the Library Marketing Team for Pollak Library. She graduated in Spring 2017 with a Bachelors of Arts in Communications with an emphasis in Public Relations.